If you are not registered or logged in, you may still use these forums but with limited features. Show recent topics
  [Search] Search   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [FAQ]  FAQ 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
How to: Add an extra field for the advanced guestbook  XML
Forum Index » Support Forum
Jam'n
Graduate
[Avatar]

One of the things people are looking for is to add an extra field to the guestbook.
So I tried this experiment.

This version is for the plain version of the advanced guestbook.

Until now is works, the only problem at the moment is that when you preview the entry the extra field isn’t written away.
I don’t have any time at the moment to find out what the problem is and to support it.
But maybe somebody else knows what is wrong and shares the solution with us.

To use it:

1. Import the table.
2. Change “extra1” and “extra field:” with the name you want, “extra1 is the database name and “extra field:” is what the guestbook shows the guests.
3. Replace “Your_picture.gif"” with the image you want to see.
4. Just follow the instructions.

Import this table into your database:

Open index.php

Find:

Add after:

Open addentry.php

Find:

Add after:

Open templates/entry.php

Find:

Add after:

Open templates/form.php

Find:

Add after:

Open templates/previewentry.php

Find:

Add after:

Open admin/panel_edit.php

Find:

Add after:

Open admin/panel_easy.php

Find:

Add after:

Open lib/add.class.php

Find:

Add after:

Find:

Add after:

Find:

Add after:

Find:

And replace with:

Find:

Add after:

Find:

Add after:

Find:

Add after:

Open lib/admin.class.php

Find:

And replace with:

Open lib/comment.class.php

Add after:

Open lib/gb.class.php

Find:

Add after:

Jam'n

------------------------------------------------

Only the man who's truly educated
understands that he knows very little...

[WWW]
Jam'n
Graduate
[Avatar]

I updated the code it works with the preview function now.
I made a typo in the code

Jam'n

Only the man who's truly educated
understands that he knows very little...

[WWW]
Anonymous

Ok, so we have to change “extra1” and “extra field” in every one of the code boxes listed. What is the first box of code though? The one that starts with "# MySQL dump 8.16"

The directions are very well written and look easy enough, but I don't understand that first box, I don't know where to find that part of code.
Anonymous

You have to change the motherfucking loc.php with v4.5 of the fucking inet, then download the tool com.php by this asshole website php.net!

When you did it, you can change the fucking loc.php with the motherfucking compiled com.php.

That`s it!

And everybody is motherfucking happy!
Anonymous

By the way, take a fucking new version of MYSQL, then you don`t have this motherfucking problem!
Anonymous

Ok....that was uncalled for.
So can anyone else tell me what that first box of code is?
Anonymous

The first code is an expansion in your database where the entry's of the extra fields will be written.

You will need phpmyadmin to import it.
Don't forget to change the name if you changed extra1
Anonymous

I think I've almost got this working...but I'm a little confused on the database editing part. Do I import my entire GB database or just the "book_data" file? And do I leave off the first part of that block of code? You know, the whole # MySQL dump 8.16 part and all?

I want to add two extra fields to my guestbook, for favorite console and game, so if I understand this correctly, my code to insert in the database would look like this:

Anonymous

Hi,

You just need to select you guestbook in phpMyadmin an then import.

All the lines starting with # are not used its just for the info.
Anonymous

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide this information on how to add extra fields. The only part that gave me a little confusion was right at the start:

1. Import the table.

I didn't know what this meant. Basically I just selected my database in PHPMyAdmin, clicked on the SQL button and entered the two SQL lines of code and this worked fine.

2. Change “extra1” and “extra field:” with the name you want, “extra1 is the database name and “extra field:” is what the guestbook shows the guests.

The person wanting to add extra fields for "console" etc got a little confused with what they put as their SQL and this confused me too as I didn't have to enter my database name anywhere for it to work OK, just the name of my new field.

I believe you have to keep 'book_data' and 'book_private' in the SQL and just change 'extra1' to the name you want your new field to be. This is because you are wanting to add new fields to the 'book_data' and 'book_private' tables, not create a new table called "console" or whatever.

I wanted a new field for people to enter the name of the team they support, so I used 'team' as my new field name in place of every incidence of 'extra1' when making all the changes/addition. I was chuffed when the guestbook showed my new field and everything worked properly first time, which is why I thought I should say thanks.

As I wanted my new field name to be 'team' this is how my SQL was entered:

ALTER TABLE `book_data` ADD `team` varchar(70) NOT NULL default '';
ALTER TABLE `book_private` ADD `team` varchar(70) NOT NULL default '';

Forum Index » Support Forum
Go to:   
Based on the open source JForum