If you are not registered or logged in, you may still use these forums but with limited features. Show recent topics
  [Search] Search   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [FAQ]  FAQ 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
How To Install Advanced Poll  XML
Forum Index » Support Forum
saith

Hi !
My website is on OVH and I can have only one database. i can't create another one. How could I do to have a poll database
ooster

Please help me to install the advanced poll.
i don't get it running.
i use the website program WYSIWYG and my webhost give me the advanced poll, and it is in the map of my webhost.
But i dont know how i can put it on my website, i am not a wiskid. please can anybody help me? i don't know much of programming.
someone?
kittykat3

Hi all,

I hope someone can help me. I needed a poll script which allowed for unlimited (or at least 100 options), so I downloaded the free Advanced Poll v2.0.8 (PHP) script from this website.

Unfortunately, the session.php file, which was supposed to be located in the polldata folder, is missing. Instead of that session.php file, .htaccess is in its place. Does anyone have the session.php file?

Also, here's something else that I noticed with this script. After I created a poll and copied & pasted the code on my website, when people click on Vote, it brings them to my home page. When people click on View Results, it also brings them back to my home page. Does anyone have a fix for this? Am I doing something wrong?

I also think there's something broken because when I go to the poll's admin, there is a broken image by the "Please enter a valid username and password" sentence. And in the blue area on the left side is le>

Could someone please tell me how to fix this too?

Thank you so much in advance!
[WWW]
NatashaM

I am not familiar with PHP or SQL, so it took me a few hours to get this to work by trial and error. It may be not the best way to do it, but it worked for me. Hopefully this will save someone time!
Here are the steps I took:
1. I installed Advanced Poll through my hosting provider, GoDaddy (located at Hosting Control Center > Content > GoDaddy Hosting Connection, search for poll). I saw some demos at the directory that I speciafied at installation.
2. I changed one of the demos by adjusting values in MySQL (located at Hosting Control > Databases > MySQL > Open Manager for Advanced Poll) . The interface is not intuitive at all, but I found the tab "Browse" the most useful. I edited the poll questions and answers, width of the table, title of the poll, color of background for the title.
3. I removed "Version" link at the bottom and Comments link.
4. I created a new file with the following code in the same directory (I chose Demo 1 for my poll):
<?php
/* Include this before your html code */
include_once "./poll_cookie.php";
?>
<HTML>
<BODY>
<?php

/* path */
$poll_path = dirname(__FILE__);

require_once $poll_path."/include/config.inc.php";
require_once $poll_path."/include/$POLLDB[class]";
require_once $poll_path."/include/class_poll.php";
$CLASS["db"] = new polldb_sql;
$CLASS["db"]->connect();

$php_poll = new poll();

/* the first poll */
echo $php_poll->poll_process(1);

?>

</body>
</HTML>

4. My poll only worked in the directory where the poll application was installed, but I wanted it to show on my home page. I could not figure out how to get it to work, so I used IFRAME to display the poll on the home page. I had to change background color of the poll to make it blend in.

While it is not perfectly lined up, it's working!
www.tampa2enjoy.com

Any ideas on how to make it line up better?
Hope this helps!

New Tampa Real Estate | Search Tampa Homes
[WWW]
stingerman

OK, I had some problems as well.

I use godaddy.

At first I couldnt get it to work either, but then-

-You need to change your webpage so it has a .php extenstion, not html.
Everything should still look the same.

The problem I have now is with the cookie code -

When I put this in, I get error warning etc. I think it is a directory problem. I am pretty sure godaddy changes the name(s) of the directory. However, without it, the poll works ok, its just that (I think) people can vote more than once.

I put this in the body (yours would be different) for the "always display the latest poll" choice:

smartcookie

Hi there.

There's an easier way to get your poll created and up on your site.

http://www.yourdomainname.com/Poll/admin/index.php

This is your MySql admin area where you can create new polls, check stats and do some other stuff.

Created a poll, grab the script and loaded it without any dramas.

Hope this helps.

kindly,
Rob

Which Pill Will You Choose? The Red Or The Blue One?
Enter the rabbit hole @ www.infowars.com
@ Your Own Risk.
[WWW]
C4SMoke

Ok this is the deal.
I installed this to my server and my host server provider is GoDaddy.com
As apart of Godaddy's enhancements they have a site where it intergrates with the programs you want to install. So Basicly it will install the program and create a data base for you. All the programs I ever had Godaddy install work great except this one.

I have a few links for what I have tried to set up, in hopes that someone here can help me. I don't think the text here will help me because I have tried it all.
I have got close to figuring this out but need some help really bad.
I think this program is really nice and would love to have it work for myself and for the consumers that visit our site.

This is my first attempt http://applyquotes.com/advancedpoll/db/index.php
and this is my forth attempt
http://applyquotes.com/advancedpoll/db/index4.php

a few in between but the last attempt I was able to click vote and it directed me to a empty page but it was better to see something happen then not lmao.

Can someone get back with me that knows how to fix what may be a small problem ?
Please help
I would be able to set up a msn messenger account so that you would be able to contact me on it mplayermaster@hotmail.com is my account. just give me an idea when you might ad me to your messenger that way I can really get this going.
I would really appreciate any help I can get
I will check tomorrow and the day after to see if anyone has replyed
Thank you,

C4Smoke

C4SMoke The Master
Roob

I know this might be a bad idea, but is there anyway to use Advanced Poll with a Rails application (without doing too much black magic)?

"What" does not start with an 'H'!
Hackit

supervillainess wrote:Just thought I'd add my own pointers to this compendium of tips and tutorials. Sticky post, most appropriate spot right?

The snippet of code that the admin dialogue provides, is the easiest way to get the poll on your site. Thus, to display your latest poll:

In your head. And:

In your body.

Hi all, yes I'm new, and have advance poll installed and working, some what.

where do you get the snippets of code shown above, i dont see anything that looks like what is posted above, i look in jelp and the three areas look like what is needed for the body of a page.

This is what i copied from here and changed to my site:
<?php
include_once "http://www.hackitz.ca/poll/poll_cookie.php";
?>
I then changed the extension from html to php and when i load the page, which is my home page. Its blank (all white) no errors no content. just a whoite blank page.

So where in the admin section do i find:
<?php
include_once "http://www.hackitz.ca/poll/poll_cookie.php";
?>

Thanks for any help.

I thought as most of the posts are 2 to 5 years old maybe they are out of date and might not work.
[WWW]
jgill560

Whenever I refresh the page containing my test poll, my vote in the poll is increased by one. How do I prevent multiple votes by the same user? I don't see this option in General Settings or in Create a new poll.

Thanks,

Jim
tomusalvi

This was great it got my brin thinking. I used something called Fantastico to install the poll, and then Im siting .*starring*. So eventually I sifted though the forum
dissindia

I am trying to install poll for our website assignmentindia.com, any help on offer
[WWW]

Forum Index » Support Forum
Go to:   
Based on the open source JForum