If you are not registered or logged in, you may still use these forums but with limited features. Show recent topics
  [Search] Search   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [FAQ]  FAQ 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Adding navigation links to the bottom of pages  XML
Forum Index » Advanced Guestbook Forum
middleeastfacts
Beginner

Hi all,

In the interest of having spiders hit a number of pages at a time, rather than one at a time, I was thinking it would be useful to have navigation links at the bottom of pages, similar to how you see them in this forum script. Instead of having just "Previous Page" and "Next Page", does anybody know how to create some code so that you can skip to a page that is not next or previous? The drop down is useful for human navigation, but I don't think the spiders are able to use the drop-down navigation to determine other pages. Does anybody already have a script for this?

If you have no idea what I'm talking about, go to http://proxy2.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4678, for instance. The bottom of the page has "Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next Page 1 of 6". I was thinking it would be nice to have at the bottom "Goto records 1-8, 9-16, 17-24, ...... 385-392, 393-400".

Any ideas, or does this technology already exist?

Thanks,
Steve
[WWW]
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

Possible but not to keen on the idea myself. You would either end up with a lot of numbered links are the bottom or you would have to cut out the middle chunk of links (1 2 3 4 .... 13 14 15 16).

Carbonize
I am not the maker of the Advanced Guestbook

get Lazarus
[Email] [WWW] [Yahoo!] aim icon [MSN] [ICQ]
middleeastfacts
Beginner

Well, I think that would be reasonable. Do you (or anybody else) have any ideas on how to improve search engine optimization in the guestbook? The idea below would greatly increase the internal linking, which is why I suggest it, but surely there are other ways that one can help SEO. Anybody?

Carbonize wrote:Possible but not to keen on the idea myself. You would either end up with a lot of numbered links are the bottom or you would have to cut out the middle chunk of links (1 2 3 4 .... 13 14 15 16).
[WWW]
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

You could increase the number of entries per page and cut down on surperflous text on the page.

Carbonize

get Lazarus
middleeastfacts
Beginner

Carbonize wrote:You could increase the number of entries per page and cut down on surperflous text on the page.

Increase the number of entries? I'm thinking that decreasing the number of entries per page will result in more pages, and thus more pages per keyword. Does anybody have a really high PR guestbook?

BTW Carbonize, this is off-topic, but is there a tool that makes comments require administrator acceptance before being posted? That would cut down on spam issues.

Thanks,
Steve
[WWW]
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

Only in Lazarus.

Carbonize

get Lazarus

Forum Index » Advanced Guestbook Forum