If you are not registered or logged in, you may still use these forums but with limited features. Show recent topics
  [Search] Search   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [FAQ]  FAQ 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Just downloaded Advanced Guestbook  XML
Forum Index » Advanced Guestbook Forum
mlibkind

I just downloaded Advanced Guestbook. I have two questions:

1. Is there documentation that goes with it? If so, where? I assume that there is some customization possible and I want to learn how.

2. I was reading one of the threads about spam. I want to start out in the best way possible to avoid spam. I saw two recommendations. (a) Something about robot.txt file. (b) No index meta tag. I know about the no index meta tag. Can someone explain about the robot.txt file? Where is it located and what does it do?

Any other suggestions for minimizing spam?

Thank you,

Marcus
mlibkind

I looked up robots.txt on the internet and found out what to put in the file and that it goes in the root directory for my website.

But I now realize that I don't know how to insert the "no index meta tag". I would assume that it goes in the head of the web page. But Advanced Guestbook was installed by my ISP and I don't know what file to put it in.

Can anyone give me help with this?

Marcus
mlibkind

I found a forum entry that said to put the "no index meta tag" in the templates/header.php file. I did that and I assume it will help control spam.

My hosting service loaded advanced guestbook in a directory called myurl/advancedguestbook. When I go to myurl/advancedguestbook it starts advanced guestbook. I assume it runs index.php. But since I don't know php I can't figure out how I find the file that I want. I'm interested in being able to add a backgound image and change some text such as "Thank you for stopping by my site. Here you can leave your mark."

Can someone explain where I find this part of the code.

Thanks,

Marcus
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

That bit of code would go in templates/header.php

Carbonize
I am not the maker of the Advanced Guestbook

get Lazarus
[Email] [WWW] [Yahoo!] aim icon [MSN] [ICQ]
mlibkind

I put the background image code and the "no index meta tag" in header.php and it worked well.

I still can't find the file that contains the code for the text "Thank you for stopping by my site. Here you can leave your mark." which is the text that I want to modify.

Marcus
JTD
Graduate

mlibkind wrote:I put the background image code and the "no index meta tag" in header.php and it worked well.

I still can't find the file that contains the code for the text "Thank you for stopping by my site. Here you can leave your mark." which is the text that I want to modify.

Marcus

It is in your lang/english.php File

LINK-> Use Lazarus Guestbook
[WWW] [Yahoo!] aim icon [MSN]

Forum Index » Advanced Guestbook Forum
Go to:   
Based on the open source JForum