If you are not registered or logged in, you may still use these forums but with limited features. Show recent topics
  [Search] Search   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [FAQ]  FAQ 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Advanced Poll is Great! – Docs Not So Great  XML
Forum Index » General Discussion
Fritz
Beginner
[Avatar]

I just wanted to leave a message here to congratulate the authors of Advanced Poll. I considered and evaluated numerous PHP polling scripts and found Advanced Poll to be the best, most flexible and most comprehensive one I came across. Thanks for this great work!!

That said, the numerous posts in these forums – combined with my own experience with installation and configuration of Advanced Poll – are indicative of the dire need for a comprehensive set of documentation describing all steps of installation, access to the site admin, how to include polls on pages, and a description of each of the poll options.

While most of this information IS available, it is scattered about here and there. Some of it on the Demo pages, some on the Read Me file, some in various posts in these forums. But, even in the posts that deal specifically with installation, it is haphazardly arranged and incomplete. Unfortunately, too, some information contradicts information found in other places, such as this example that I've posted elsewhere:
http://proxy2.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5280&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

The thing is, this is actually a really easy script to install, configure and use, but it still took me about 3 hours to figure it out because I spent so much time searching for information about the various installation and configuration options.

With a really good – and comprehensive – set of documentation, it should have taken less than 15 minutes.

And I'm a professional web developer with PHP experience. I can see why beginners have so much trouble.

Sorry I wrote so much. Please understand that I am truly a fan of this script. It is awesome. It would be even better with thorough documentation.

Thanks for your time!
Fritz :o
Vladd-The-Impaler

I've got no PHP or Mysql experience whatsoever. I'd have to agree that the information provided is not complete. It was a bitch to piece everything together especially with godaddy as my host. I'd have to say though at the end of the day it's a great script and if there was thorough instructions, it would have been easy. At one point I didn't even realize that I needed to utilize a database for the damn thing to work. If someone could give instructions from buying the domain to end I think it would be a great help. Like the post above, I'm totally humbled by the knowledge on this board and appreciate everyone's input.
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

If you want to write simple, step by step instructions for Advanced Poll I'm sure that Chi Kien Uong would be grateful and would include them it future realeases. In fact there should be an update to Advanced Poll coming out soon due to an exploit being found in 2.0.3.

Carbonize
I am not the maker of the Advanced Guestbook

get Lazarus
[Email] [WWW] [Yahoo!] aim icon [MSN] [ICQ]

Forum Index » General Discussion
Go to:   
Based on the open source JForum