|
Chi Kien Uong
Geranienstraße 30
71034 Böblingen
Deutschland / Germany
|
If you are not registered or logged in, you may still use these forums but with limited features.
Show recent topics
|
|
|
| Author |
Message |
![[Post New]](/forum/templates/html/images/icon_minipost_new.gif) 06/10/2026 03:03:21
|
bagwasher
Newbie
Joined: 28/07/2026 01:04:18
Messages: 1
Offline
|
I’ve been trying to become more careful about the amount of plastic waste my household produces, and one question keeps coming up for me: are plastic bags recyclable?
I used to assume that anything with a recycling symbol could simply go into the recycling bin. Recently, I started reading more about plastic bags and realized that recycling them may not be as straightforward as recycling bottles, cans, or cardboard.
The confusing part is that plastic bags are technically recyclable in some recycling systems, but that does not necessarily mean they belong in the regular household recycling bin. From what I understand, lightweight plastic bags and films can cause problems at some recycling facilities because they can get caught in sorting equipment.
So now I’m wondering what everyone else does with their used plastic bags.
For example, grocery bags seem like an obvious type of plastic that people might want to recycle. But what about bread bags, produce bags, newspaper bags, shipping bags, or resealable food-storage bags? Are all of these handled in the same way, or do recycling programs treat different types of plastic film differently?
I’m also curious about the condition of the bag. Does it need to be completely clean and dry before taking it to a collection point? What should someone do with a bag that has food residue, grease, or other contamination that cannot easily be removed?
Another thing I’ve been considering is reuse. If a plastic bag is still in good condition, it seems more sensible to use it again before thinking about recycling or disposal. But eventually, bags become worn, dirty, or damaged, so knowing the correct recycling option is important.
I’d really appreciate hearing from people who have actually recycled plastic bags. Do you use a store collection box, a local recycling center, or another program? Have you found it easy to locate a place that accepts them?
I’m mainly looking for practical advice because I don’t want to put something in my recycling bin if it could contaminate the recycling stream or cause problems at the facility. What has worked for you?
The EPA also recommends checking local recycling rules because acceptance varies by community, and plastic bags and films generally require separate collection rather than regular curbside recycling.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Based on the open source JForum
|