If you are not registered or logged in, you may still use these forums but with limited features. Show recent topics
  [Search] Search   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [FAQ]  FAQ 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Guestbook 2.3.1, some ????  XML
Forum Index » Support Forum
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

I thought my instructions were simple enough

As to the alert window it's not possible. It would require some complex javascript and would have to put the code in the actual add entry page. The spamers would eventually figure this out and just get the code from the javascript.

Carbonize
I am not the maker of the Advanced Guestbook

get Lazarus
[Email] [WWW] [Yahoo!] aim icon [MSN] [ICQ]
Anonymous

fwcards wrote:Hi,

Thank you for the info.

It's nice to know that there is help out there when needed.

Thank you again

fwcards

Thanks for the quick comeback.Thought you might be sleeping.
What I was interested in was that you had your own "Header" and "Footer" to keep the verifacation script from putting the code in the form and also on the bottom of the form.( http://www.thewarehouseofink.com/84th/guestbook/addentry.php )in the script I have it calls for another snippet of code at the bottom of the addentry.php to cure this problem.You seem to have done it some other way !
Could you send me a copy of your "verify.php" and "verifyimage.php".You might have another type of code that I don't have that solves my problem.

Thanks again,
Steve
Anonymous

Hi Carbonize

Ok, thats fine.

Your instructions are simple. I missed out a dot when changing one of the codes yesterday and as you can imagine i got an error messages, so i think it's just one of those things that can happen.

English is not my mother language, so it's always a little harder for me to add any kind of code to my site as their are sometimes wordes in the instructions I have never heard of.

But I did manage to add your code alright (after a few goes lol)

thanks

fwcards
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

hmm maybe I should get someone to rewrite the instructions in French and german.

Carbonize

get Lazarus
Anonymous

Hi steve,

Zip file that i have used it is on it's way.

fwcards
Anonymous

Hi,

German be good, as I am german and I do have a germans surfing my english site. I could also link to your file on my links page if you would like.

fwcards
rocket rabbit
Beginner

I have just tried all the methods for preventing spam, including the IMAGE VERIFICATION.

the message that tells a poster that they haven't put in the numbers correctly appears at the very top of the guestbook... is there a way to have it appear else where?
There was one tiny bit of the instructions I didn't understand in reguards to the addentry.php.:

>>> If you use a footer file for your site place the include code between the echo $gb_post->process; and the die();

What is the "include code"? ok thanks again for all your help guys!
Anonymous

yes I didnt understand that too, but it works.
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

Thats one of them instructions where its not important because if you don't understand it it doesn't apply to you. I have come up with a better way of handling the image verification I'm just playing around with how to handle uploaded images. The Image Verification method has it downfalls. I may return to the old method of error reporting on it. At present changing the gb_name to something else is still a good way of doing spam prevention as most spam is just sent to the guestbook. I have also come up with an invisible way of combating spam that was inspired by a phpBB modification. Anyone posting using the guestbooks form will have no problems but automated spam will not get through. Well until they figure it out but I can't see them bothering. I'll start work on writing the mod for this method as well as coding it into Advanced Guestbook 2.4. Hmmmm a combination of the last two ideas will be best I think. Will come up with something in the next 24 hours hopefully but I am trying to rush release 2.4 dues to the recent exploits that have been found.

Carbonize

get Lazarus
Anonymous

is the gb_name in the same files for 2.2 as 2.3.1? i was trying to do that baut couldnt find any gb_name... sorry if I'm being dense...
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

Think we'll stick to discussing that in http://proxy2.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3802

Carbonize

get Lazarus
Anonymous

I am a bit late getting round to needing this MOD but I am getting spammed every day now.

I followed the instructions in the readme file but keep getting parse errors? I have redone the instructions but still can't get it to work!

As you seem to have got the MOD up and running fine could you send me copies of the 3 files:
addentry.php
templates/form.php
lib/add.class.php
Like you I am using version 2.3.1 so the chages should be the same as yours.

Here is my email peterwestern@ic24.net

Cheers
Peter

steve2 wrote:
fwcards wrote:I have now installed the verification mod on my guestbook and I think it is ok.

However would appreciate if one of you would be so kind to visit my book and check it out. (if you could find the time)

Here is my url
http://www.fwcards.com/fwcards/guestbook/addentry.php

I thank you very much in advance

Best regards
fwcards

I'm having trouble on the last part of the (addentry.php
)GB verification script.Any chance you could email me a copy of your addentry.php?
I'm 10 hours behind you.

Thanks,
Steve2
sandlent@povn.com
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

You can prevent spamming an easier way. Read http://proxy2.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3802 for more info.

Carbonize

get Lazarus
Anonymous

Hello,

I just upgraded to 2.3.1 Advanced Guestbook. I am having a problem with all the images now. I'm sure the url is messed up and I have no clue to PhP what so ever.

Could you tell me where I would need to change it to point to the right directory? It worked fine until my host suggested I upgrade.

Thanks for any help you can give.

The address to the book is

http://lcavfd.com/guestbook
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

Why did your host suggest you upgrade apart from not knwong what they are on about? Check for the base_url setting in config.inc.php file and set it as http://lcavfd.com/guestbook

Carbonize

get Lazarus

Forum Index » Support Forum
Go to:   
Based on the open source JForum