If you are not registered or logged in, you may still use these forums but with limited features. Show recent topics
  [Search] Search   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [FAQ]  FAQ 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Messages posted by: The Old Man
Forum Index » Profile for The Old Man » Messages posted by The Old Man
That's great, thanks for that! Much appreciated.
Hi all,
I've been bothered by the way the otherwise excellent Advanced Guestbook displays e-mail addresses in the normal view. I think its a good thing to protect your vistors from e-mail address harvesting robots by preventing Guestbook from displaying them.

I think someone else asked about this elsewhere but I searched and couldn't find it.

To prevent Guestbook displaying e-mail address of visitors, make a backup of templates/entry.php then open entry.php in a text editor such as Notepad or Crimson Editor.

Then remove lines 15 to 17 inclusive.

Originally the section of entry.php looks like this:

Remove the lines:

So that the section looks like this:

Although the guestbook still asks for an e-mail address when someone signs it, its stored for Admin reasons but not displayed. if you need to see the e-mail address, its still displayed in the Easy Admin section of the Control Panel.

Hope this helps.
Thanks you very! That fixed it!

I inserted

between the end of the style code and before the <\head> tag, just like the original header.php file.

It nows works fine. Many thanks!
Aha, I think I know what's happened Trevor.
I used the guide to insert my own header and footer and I chose the first of the two options to overwrite the existing header.php file. The one where it says to make your head and insert the word guestbook, then save everything before and up to the word guestbook as header.php! I didn't realise I'd overwritten a javascript too!

I'll go compare the original to mine and se what I've lost.

Thanks for the heads up guys!
Hi thanks for the quick reply - very kind!
I checked my index.php file and it contains the lines of code you mentioned. In fact I wasn't aware I'd removed anything intentional, must have been by accident!

Regarding the javascript you quoted firstly, which file is it supposed to be in? I'll check when I get home from work later! I could try inserting the lines from your quote if I knew which file it was in and which line numbers approx.

I just checked my user_pic.php file and it reads:

I just checked and its there on my server.

I checked templates/entry.php and it should be as normal because I don't recall opening that file before:

Many thanks for the kind help!
Hi all,
I have used some of the mods on this forum to improve the great Advanced Guestbook script. These include:

• Link added to allow Visitors to navigate back to the main site.
    Drop down menu now includes link to "Return to Hompage".
    Header and Footer added above and below the Guestbook to match rest of site.
    Removed the Admin Link to increase security.
    Replaced the Male and Female icons with an M and a F.

• I have now found that when an image thumbnail is present in a guestbook signature, you can't click to open full screen. At least that's what I guess its supposed to do as I never tried before adding my own Board Header and footer.

My guestbook is at:
    http://sarahjaneredmond.com/guestbook/

When I click on a thumbnail which has for example the following link:

IE6 shows an error notification in its bottom status bar "Error On Page". When I click to view it, it says:

Line: 1
    Char: 1
    Error: Object expected.
    Code: 0
    URL: http://sarahjaneredmond.com/guestbook/

and the full size image does not show.

Could anyone help me track down this error?

Thanks!
    Graham.
    Hi,
    Thank you for the excellent mod. Works great!
    Regards,
    Graham.

Forum Index » Profile for The Old Man » Messages posted by The Old Man
    Go to:   
    Based on the open source JForum