If you are not registered or logged in, you may still use these forums but with limited features. Show recent topics
  [Search] Search   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [FAQ]  FAQ 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Messages posted by: Late Sleeper
Forum Index » Profile for Late Sleeper » Messages posted by Late Sleeper
Cpanel Users: It (the install file) didn't get the info it needed by itself. I had to input it myself (after I finallly realized it wanted the databases's password {from config file--> www,myhome.com/guestbook/admin/config.inc.php (LweZE9Kxop)} not my home one). After uploading the install.php file to the right place (and typing it's name into your browser's address bar and hitting Return), fill in the blanks with the stuff between the "_" (quotes). Each line just as it is. Yes, localhost is the name of your db's host, and that randomly generated password (which you have never seen before) is what you need to enter.
Tony
Thanks for responding so quickly,
I apologize if my tone seemed harsh. I should probably just skip the Cpanel's installation in the future, and just do it my self.
I am very new to database issues, and didn't even know what a table was (not that I do now). I am almost 40, but feel like a 5 year old kid trying to read my first book. I am thoroughly enjoying my new exposure to this very new world of script implementation. I can't wait for my next challenge.
2.3.1 was installed (it's nice to know that it is not as venerable to hacking, but I did read here about how to fix 2.2).
I posted because the doc/read me file was very hard to understand and use for first timers. I personally think it should be longer, plain, and concise.
Ok, now keep in mind that I am trying to be nice and helpful;
Installation:

1. Open the configuration file 'config.inc.php' with a text editor
and set up your database settings. It already looked fine to me. Everything was right where it should be. So where do I make the settings?

2. Create the tables for the guestbook:
mysql -u<user> -p<pass> <database> < guestbook.sql Now I know that's hard to understand. How and where do I create these tables?
Or use the script 'install.php' -> http;//www.yourDomain.com/guestbook/install.php I had to get a new one and place it in the guestbook folder. Without it, I didn't stand a chance. Even then, it took a while to realize that I just had to put the info from the config file in the blanks.

3. Give write permissions to these directories:

- public - 777 (drwxrwxrwx) (directory) [color="darkblue"]You mean: [/color]
- tmp - 777 (drwxrwxrwx) (directory)

4. The default account is:

Username : test
Password : 123 Without the install.php file running, where do I enter this info?

If you can provide answers to these questions, why not include this info in the readme.txt (for those of us using Cpanel) Please don't make it an adventure.
I hope this post helps another newbie find their way.
Tony
You 2 were not very helpful. I finally figured it out at 5:00 in the morning.
You can not always assume that people know anything about PHP. Or that they want to wade through all relevant posts.
My host stole the install.php file from my folder. I had to download a new zip file. Then upload the file. I didn't even know how to use it then, but I persevered...finally.
The "manual" was only 4 lines of very cryptic info.
I wonder if you or my host wanted me to succeed.

Forum Index » Profile for Late Sleeper » Messages posted by Late Sleeper
Go to:   
Based on the open source JForum