If you are not registered or logged in, you may still use these forums but with limited features. Show recent topics
  [Search] Search   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [FAQ]  FAQ 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Is there a way to approve entries before posting?  XML
Forum Index » Advanced Guestbook Forum
sireray
Beginner

I have been getting a lot of spam lately and want to stop it. Is there a way to make it so every entry has to be approved before they will be posted?
[WWW] aim icon
JTD
Graduate

Hi sireray glad to see you found your way here from mysitespace.AVG isnt very good at keeping out spam. You might want to give Lazarus a shot. You can find the link in my signature below. And no you wont lose any of your current guestbook entries. It will use the same database as you have now. It will just upgrade it.

LINK-> Use Lazarus Guestbook
[WWW] [Yahoo!] aim icon [MSN]
sireray
Beginner

Thanks for the fast reply.. Now I am not sure how to update the guestbook, is there instructions?
Also I noticed you knew I was from Mysitespace.. interesting...
[WWW] aim icon
JTD
Graduate

sireray wrote:Thanks for the fast reply.. Now I am not sure how to update the guestbook, is there instructions?
Also I noticed you knew I was from Mysitespace.. interesting...

Yes there is. And you know me because I used to use them as a host. This is Ravenpro.

sireray
Beginner

Ravenpro... Great to hear from you again...

and I did get that other issue working that you wrote to me about when I posted there. Anyway... I am not sure what to do so that I can upgrade this. I started to read about it, and if there is any issues I see that the forum for that is available also. Does this guestbook require an approval?
[WWW] aim icon
JTD
Graduate

You can set it so you have to approve all regular posts and also the comments. Plus it comes with a php include feature to be able to add it right into your webpage. Here is mine I have it intigrated into phpnuke.

http://www.phantom309drivers.org/modules.php?name=Guestbook

sireray
Beginner

Your page looks great.. glad you told me about it. Now I need to figure out how to upgrade to this, then try it on a test site and if I am happy integrate it into about 5 sites I manage now. I have been blocking IP addresses like mad the last few days and getting tired of it. The amount of crap has cut down a lot, but there is still 1-2 a day. That is better than 20-30!
[WWW] aim icon
JTD
Graduate

It isnt hard the easy way is just to download the file. Then go in and delete all your current guestbook files except the config.php one upload the new ones and run the install file.

sireray
Beginner

I am not sure if I am up to this tonight... been a long day.. But I will give it a shot. This will be a first for me on this type installation.
Can you believe it, my full time job is administrator of BEA WebLogic servers for a website that does 7 Billion a year in revenue! And I worry about a guestbook... well it is something I do not normally do!
Have a great night and see you on the boards...
[WWW] aim icon
JTD
Graduate

Not a problem glad to help. And You wont see me at mysitespace. Here or at the lazarus board.

sireray
Beginner

Ravenpro, how do I find out what version of guestbook I am currently running?
[WWW] aim icon
JTD
Graduate

That should be in the footer.php file.

sireray
Beginner

Going to check it now, and atleast download it to my PC .... Sounds easy to install ....
[WWW] aim icon
sireray
Beginner

One last question... I have created a test guestbook, the instructions say to upload to your website. Do I create a special directory in public for it or do I put it in the directory that advanced created?
[WWW] aim icon
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

Entirely upto you but I'd suggest a different folder for now and make a back up of your database before running the Lazarus agupdate file as it will alter the database. Better safe than sorry.

Carbonize
I am not the maker of the Advanced Guestbook

get Lazarus
[Email] [WWW] [Yahoo!] aim icon [MSN] [ICQ]

Forum Index » Advanced Guestbook Forum
Go to:   
Based on the open source JForum