If you are not registered or logged in, you may still use these forums but with limited features. Show recent topics
  [Search] Search   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [FAQ]  FAQ 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
need help please for Free Link Page 1.2 script  XML
Forum Index » Support Forum
diane35

when i try to add my info url and such to add my link to the link page i get this error when i click on submit url

Cannot create ID file links_id.txt in grafxbydiane.com/linkexchange. Please check your base directory.
can somone tell what i am doing wrong
[Email] [WWW]
amber222
Graduate

Since it says check your base directory, look in the links.pl file in the cgi-bin. Is the information correct? In some cases, I must use the complete address in order for it to work, like this:
[list][/list]
Good luck with this. After about a year, I finally got rid of mine because all the predators abuse this free service to try and make their search engine rankings higher. Even if you exclude the page from search engines they manage to find you. I think they are finding the link to proxy2.de at the bottom and using robots to flood your pages with their links. One solution may be to pay the author a fee to remove the link.
diane35

okay thanks another question which may have been answered already
the add link the main page with the catergories i read here that you can edit the html pages but not the links . does that mean you can not add catergories to the ones already there on the link exchange?
[Email] [WWW]
amber222
Graduate

I edited the pages and the links, and the program worked fine. I think you can change whatever you want, except that you should never remove the footer with link to proxy2.de without the author's permission.

I used my html program to edit the pages for design, but I found it worked better to use a text editor to add additional categories. I had to manually change every ffa-page. Perhaps there is an easier way, but I don't think so.

For instance, to add the category "poetry," I had to edit the following areas on every page.

1. This adds the new category to the form:

Around line #40, find:

Insert the option for the new poetry category, in alpha order, so it now looks like:

2. This adds the category link near the top of the page:

Around line #65, find:

Insert a link for the poetry page, in alpha order, so now it looks like:

Once the above two items are inserted correctly on one page, you can just copy and paste them in the correct 2 places on all the other ffa-pages.

3. Copy the ffa-business.html page (or any other ffa-page) and name the copy ffa-poetry.html.

4. On the new ffa-poetry.html page, change the title on or about line #4 to "Poetry":

5. On the new ffa-poetry.html page, on or around line #86, change the reference to "poetry":

6. Edit the addlink.html page to include the new poetry category. Since it involves columns, you may do better by editing it in an html editor. That will make it easier to put the categories in alpha order. Otherwise, to add a new row using a text editor:

On or around line #118, find:

Include a new row or rearrange the categories in alpha order. Mine looks like this:

Note that if you change the category name, you also must change the category value:

After making changes, test to see if you can add links. Also test in admin to see that your new pages show up there and if you can remove links from those pages.

I also changed the page names, removing ffa-, in a hopes the predators wouldn't find them, but they found my pages and abused me anyway! I excluded them in my robots.txt file, renamed the pages like business.htm, made sure to include "noindex, nofollow" in robots meta tags on all pages - all to no avail. Categories like business and other received thousands of links a day - many in multiples from the same sites. Unfortunately, there are just too many predators on the internet to successfully manage a free links program like this.
diane35

Thanks for your help.
[Email] [WWW]

Forum Index » Support Forum
Go to:   
Based on the open source JForum