If you are not registered or logged in, you may still use these forums but with limited features. Show recent topics
  [Search] Search   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [FAQ]  FAQ 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Help with install  XML
Forum Index » Advanced Guestbook Forum
billman

I've been trying to get the guestbook installed on my brothers site for several hours now with no luck. I've been reading through most of the articles on here trying to find the solution, but nothing has worked. I've seen some other people that had similar problems, but their solutions didn't work. Here is the problem:

His host is running Cpanel 10.6.0-Current 132, PHP version 4.3.11, and MySQL version 4.0.25-standard (I tried to include as much info as possible). I had the same problem that a lot of people here had while installing AGB 2.3.3-1 through Cpanel. So I found a thread on here which says to download the file from here, unzip it, modify the first 4 lines of the config.inc.php, upload it and then run the install.php. I've done all of this, but I keep getting access denied errors when it tries to create the DB.

Do I need to go into MySQL and create a DB username/password prior to running the install and match that in the config.inc.php, or is the install supposed to create this for you? I've tried pretty much every different combination imaginable with username and passwords in the config.inc.php and in MySQL (both with and without usernames and passwords), and still nothing works. Sometimes depending on wether I have a username already created in MySQL I will either get error 1044 or 1045. One time when I tried to create the DB by myself I think it gave a different error than the other two.

I know this has been covered a dozen times in here already, but believe me when I say that I've read through every possible thread and tried every solution to no avail. All help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks much!
Bill
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

if you have already installed it via cPanel then the database already exists. You do not need to run the install file. Just use the guestbook as normal.

Carbonize
I am not the maker of the Advanced Guestbook

get Lazarus
[Email] [WWW] [Yahoo!] aim icon [MSN] [ICQ]
billman

It woulnd't install completely via Cpanel. All it would do is create the database, create the install folder and put one extra folder in it before it bombed. You could not run it because the necessary files were not there.

I actually got it to work late last night. After verifying that the Sql server was to be set as localhost, I kept trying different combinations of settings in the php install file, and with and without things set up in MySQL in Cpanel. I finally hit the right combination and got it installed. It got stuck at the point where it wanted me to create the admin username and password. Anything I typed in it would not accept, and it kept going back to that page. I just ended up canceling out of that and using your password reset file which worked perfectly.

Now the guestbook works as does the admin login. We're happy now.

Thanks for the help and quick response.
Bill

Forum Index » Advanced Guestbook Forum
Go to:   
Based on the open source JForum