If you are not registered or logged in, you may still use these forums but with limited features. Show recent topics
  [Search] Search   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [FAQ]  FAQ 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Editing Guestbook  XML
Forum Index » Support Forum
Anonymous

Forgive me, for I am only a PHP novice. I recently added the Guestbook to my site, however, since it's a charity site, I'd like to make more modifications than are offered in the GUI interface through my cpanel (site is hosted by ipowerweb). The changes I'd like to make are turning off the private message box, changing the text above the Message fields (Thank you for visiting my guestbook etc). Is the only way to do this through editing the PHP scripts? And if so, is my only hope to dive in with both feet and try to understand the PHP language?

Any help is greatly appreciated

www.spinabifidaassociation.org/Guestbook.html

-Michelle
JTD
Graduate

Well this part *Message fields* is easy. You can find that in your lang/lang-english folder. As to the other part. I would just look for it in the various folders. And when you find it just delete that part of the script. FYI I dont know how you added it to your page but it is so far down at the bottom That you cant even click the sign guestbook part.

LINK-> Use Lazarus Guestbook
[WWW] [Yahoo!] aim icon [MSN]
Trevor
Student
[Avatar]

Michelle,

Try doing this...

In case it goes wrong make back-ups of these two files first...

form.php in the templates sub-directory
english.php in the lang sub-directory

TO REMOVE THE PRIVATE MESSAGE BOX

You need to edit the file called form.php in the templates sub-directory. About 12 lines from the bottom you should fine this...

You can either delete it and get shut of it for good, or comment it out in case you want to bring it back later.

That's it, save it and you're done - no more private message option.

TO CHANGE THE MESSAGE AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE

All the messages are contained in the file called english.php in the lang sub-directory. Open it and scroll down to about line 28 and look for this...

Change the message to whatever you want. Save it and you're done.

A SUGGESTION

You're running guestbook version 2.2, you might want to consider changing to 2.3 as it's a more secure version with less chance of being hacked etc (check out the number of posts on this forum about hacked version 2.2 guestbooks) - just a thought.

Also, just to reiterate what JTD said - your guestbooks right down at the bottom of the page - make it kind of hard to view it.

If you come unstuck post another message or email me <guestbook at kahlil dot org> and I'll see what I can do.

Trevor
[Email] [WWW] [Yahoo!] aim icon [MSN] [ICQ]
Carbonize
Master
[Avatar]

My advice is either make the frame larger or make the guestbook open in a new window.

Carbonize
I am not the maker of the Advanced Guestbook

get Lazarus
[Email] [WWW] [Yahoo!] aim icon [MSN] [ICQ]

Forum Index » Support Forum
Go to:   
Based on the open source JForum