If you are not registered or logged in, you may still use these forums but with limited features. Show recent topics
  [Search] Search   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [FAQ]  FAQ 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Guestbook 1.51 will not work for me  XML
Forum Index » Support Forum
Puzzled

I have installed the guestbook, (yesterday), but when I post a message and click the 'Sign Book' button in addentry.html I am taken to the page 'http://www.fred.org.uk/cgi-bin/guestbook/guestbook.pl' and shown an error message saying that the server cannot complete my request, (thsi is the standard error page).

My guess is that I have not completed the $base_dir variable correctly.

My webhost says the path to my webspace is '/home/freduk/public_html' and I have entered
$base_dir = "/home/freduk/public_html/guestbook/book";
in the script as addentry.html and the other files are in the directory guestbook/book.
Can someone tell me what I have done wrong please? (No my website is not fred but I have used this to save my embarrassment.)

All help will be greatly appreciated,
Viv
amber222
Graduate

It's hard to say for sure without access. Does your host allow the .pl extension? Some require you to change the extension to .cgi.

In the guestbook.pl file, do you have the correct location to perl on your server?

Did you put the guestbook.pl file in the cgi-bin directory and chmod to 755?

I have found that when using cgi scripts from proxy2.de, I must use the full url:

In cgi-bin/guestbook.pl, lines 16 thru 26:

In addentry.html line 7:

If you have an available mysql database, you would do better to use the database version.

Forum Index » Support Forum
Go to:   
Based on the open source JForum