If you are not registered or logged in, you may still use these forums but with limited features. Show recent topics
  [Search] Search   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [FAQ]  FAQ 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Messages posted by: Trevor
Forum Index » Profile for Trevor » Messages posted by Trevor
If you've made the changes in the instructions above then there's nothing more to do.

About the go button...

4: Any links you add at this stage don't require the 'go' button as they're jump links. But... as the number of entries in your guestbook grows more pages will be added with links automatically added to the menu.

If you want to make all menu entries into jump links you'll need to edit the script where menu items are added and change the onChange=\"urlJump part. You then don't need the 'go' button. Delete the following if you want to remove it...

$menu_array[] = "<input type=\"submit\" value=\"".$this->db->LANG["FormButton"]."\" class=\"input\">";

Trevor
Hi Dineke,

When you say about setting the number of entries to 20 I'm assuming it's the number of entries per page that you're setting (I think 20 is the default). If that's the case it shouldn't make any difference, when you exceed the maximum entries per page all that happens is new pages are created and links automatically added to and from those pages.

I had a look at your guestbook - there's actually less than 20 entries as some of them have been deleted so I don't think it's anything to do with that.

It seems the error may be somewhere in the coding you've added - it's trying to locate a file called template.html (I'm guessing that's what your template for all the pages is called and that you're using an include tag to pull it into the page). The path it's trying to follow is /home/bdweb7181j/nadinemcneil.com/public_html/book.

If you've made any changes recently to the code then maybe there's an error somewhere. If not then I'm stuck as it's a new one one me.

Good luck,

Trevor
Bumped cos this is important for anyone running Adv GB 2.2.
Thanks everyone,

I'm not on Apache so can't use .htaccess which is what most of the above need.

Looked at the stats from some different sites, impression I get is that once a bot has indexed a site it comes back even if you subsequently block it with robots.txt and meta-tags.

Thanks again.

Trevor
Talking about the Googlebot...

It's supposed to be denied from my guestbook by a robots.txt file and also noindex nofollow meta-tags but it's still indexing the pages. I thought Googlebot was supposed to be well behaved and follow orders. Any suggestions for blocking it and other bots.

As for frequency of visits, looking at site stats for Aug - the Googlebot visited the high ranking main pages between 1 and 4 times a day and reindexed the entire site on the 1st, 17th and 30th with most pages only being visited during a full index. New pages seem to take a while (up to 8 weeks) for an initial visit but are then revisited about every 2 weeks. It also paid 4000 short visits to the site indexing between 1 and 100 pages at a time.

As for the algorithm - try solving the meaning of life, it'll be a lot easier.

Trevor
Search the forum, there's lots of posts about resetting password.

If you can't solve it then post the URL to the guestbook.
Enmagc and Hz,

There's lots of posts on this forum that should help you. If you're still stuck you need to submit another post with the URL of your guestbook. If you do that me or someone else can have a look at resetting the passwords.

You also need to prevent hackers getting in - check this post... <<http://proxy2.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3475>>

Trevor
Graham,

I also had a look at the source code and came to the same conclusion...

When you click on a thumbnail it requires the function gb_picture, your source code seems to be missing this.

Try checking the header.php file in the templates sub-directory, see if it's been accidentally deleted or something.

Do you have an original (unedited) copy of header.php to compare with?

Trevor
The guestbook always seems to take longer to load than other pages but I've never come across it taking 2 or 3 minutes.

What's happening whilst the page is loading - does it load bit by bit or all at once?

Also, what's the URL of the guestbook?

Trevor
Hi,

Not sure what you mean. You've got your own server so presumably you're hosting your own site?

When you say it's slow do you mean when visitors view your page it takes 2 - 3 minutes to load?

Also - 1200 post, is that the guestbook you're talking about? If you're trying to load 1200 posts in a single page then it will take some time (20 is the recommended number).

If it's still causing a problem please reply including a link to your page so people can see what's happening.

Trevor
Hi Dineke,

Had a look at your guestbook. You're using the Sothink DHTML menu on all your website pages. I'm assuming that because it's on every page you're using an include tag and that it's not written into each and every page. That being the case then changing the menu won't affect the guestbook. Quick point - on your menu the word 'guestbook' is 9 point font, everything else is 8 point.

If you do want to edit your templates you'll find them in a sub-directory called templates. If you're not entirely sure about changing them then make back ups first - they're easy to screw up but hard to unscrew.

To post a reply just hit 'post reply' at the top or bottom of the page.

Trevor
Check this post...

http://proxy2.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3475

Got info about hackers and 'hack-proofing'.

As Amber said - you should upgrade to 2.3.1 - as soon as poss really.

Trevor
Hi Kansas,

I'm not sure what's causing the pronlem - by the sounds of it everything was working fine. Seems strange that your error message is saying the problem is in line 1. Could there be some incompatibility with MySQL, PHP, Server, Database etc?

I see you've changed your guestbook back to it's original settings - I guess that measn the problem didn't get sorted

The link that Amber222 posted to <<< http://proxy2.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3174 >>> was something that got resolved via e-mail. I seem to remember that she'd made a small error when following the instructions and that was what caused the problem.

Do you want to e-mail me a copy of your header.php and gb.class.php files and I'll have a mess around and see if I can get something sorted for you (same e-mail address as before is fine).

Trevor
Thanks TanagerDave - I forgot to mention about having to edit other parts of the script to make the automatic entries into jump links as well. I did it once but can't remember off the top of my head what the changes were otherwise I'd mention them here.

I've also edited the original post to take account of what you've said.

Hope everything else is OK with your guestbook.

Trevor
Do you really want to delete the menu?

When your guestbook has too many entries to display on one page (the number depends what you've set it to) then links are automatically added to the menu to the other pages. No menu = no links to the other pages.

If you're sure you want rid of it then open gb.class.php and comment out all the relevant lines (starting at about line 60) - see the colored bits in the post above for the actual script to comment out.

Trevor

Forum Index » Profile for Trevor » Messages posted by Trevor
Go to:   
Based on the open source JForum